CCON in the News
It can be more difficult to lead a healthy lifestyle when you live in the urban core. There are often fewer safe places to exercise, and fewer places to buy nutritious food.
FOX 4 Medical Reporter Meryl Lin McKean shows how The Calvary Community Wellness Center is leading some to new fitness opportunities.
The mission of the Calvary Community Outreach Network (CCON) is to improve the quality of life by attending to the spiritual, physical, economic, and social needs of individuals and families through innovative programs and services. Since its inception as a 501(c)3 in 1994 CCON has promoted wellness throughout the Greater Kansas City Area with the following activities:
- Providing health education and awareness to minority communities.
- Providing meaningful youth and family development activities.
- Organizing forums and events to bring about positive change in the African American community regarding HIV/AIDS.
- Working with the faith community to foster hope and healing.
- Networking with community based organizations to influence change.
In response to the startling obesity rates across the Nation and the needs of the Kansas City community, CCON established the Calvary Community Wellness Center in 2008 to provide age appropriate fitness opportunities and culturally sensitive information to under-served youth and families. The Wellness Center is a 10,000 square foot, state of the art facility that provides health screenings, nutrition demonstrations and fitness classes, in addition to many other program offerings.